What's happening to all these returned D800s???

Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
JJJPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,563Gear list
Like?
I smell B&S
In reply to EdHoppah, Aug 30, 2012

EdHoppah wrote:

I had an e-conversation with Henry Posner at B&H some months ago about exactly this question. Henry assured me that B&H simply ships returns back to the manufacturer and never just re-sells a product returned because of buyer-described defects. Based on past experiences with him, I trust Henry's word on this.

Let me say first of all that I have purchased MANY goods from B&H over the years and I will continue to do so because I've ALWAYS had a good experience and the prices are usually VERY competitive. However, when I did a Google search a short while ago I found a B&H employee making the exact opposite statement from what you describe.

http://www.mu-43.com/f110/ethics-camera-returns-31892/

"Chuck" at B&H stresses that "this is not B&H's corporate policy" but he goes on to say "Is it ever ethical for a retailer to restock as new an item purchased and then returned by a customer? IMO it certainly is and US retailers do it all the time."

The B&H employee goes on to compare returning a camera to returning a sweater (since returned clothes with the tags still on them are often restocked in clothing stores).

"Now I know a $1000 lens or a $2500 dslr is a bit more than and different than that sweater but retail is retail and if it's okay for one it should be for the other."

Chuck points out that B&H would never restock a camera that is "defective" but then goes on to describe a situation where a customer returned three identical new cameras as "defective" and when B&H looked into the situation they discovered the customer just didn't understand how to use the camera. Chuck then says "What would you have done with them?"

In short, I'm pretty sure B&H's "official corporate policy" is to NEVER sell returned (used) items as "new" ... but based on comments like the ones I found on other sites, I suspect SOMETIMES the official corporate policy is blatantly disregarded.

JJJPhoto's gear list:JJJPhoto's gear list
Sony RX1 Pentax K-7 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL1s +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow