Camera you had the most fun with of all time?

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,715
Like?
Minolta Maxxum 7 AF film camera
In reply to Shield3, Aug 30, 2012

I wish Konica-Minolta and Sony had made their KM7D and Sony A700 more like the 7. KM7D came close, but they degraded the AF system and had uncharacteristic (for Minolta) problems with ambient and flash exposure accuracy. Sony moved further from the 'standard' by removing direct controls in favor of more menus.

My first "real" camera was the Konica Auto S-2 fixed lens rangefinder. I had a lot of fun with that finally being able to measure and set exposure, focus and DOF. But the fixed focal length and lack of macro ability became limiting too soon.

My next camera was the SRT-101. That was even more fun, but it was a heavy camera and the metal bodied lenses back then made it even more so (particularly on long walking shoots in hot weather.) But I used it for over 20 years.

Maxxum 700si is fun in its own way with the Minolta custom function cards, but it's limited.

The Maxxum 7 was just a pleasure to use. Perfect size and weight, fully capable, great VF, gave me all the info I needed to shoot what I wanted, how I wanted, and get the results I wanted. Just a lot of fun to pick up and use. I still use it just for fun. If they had only turned vaporware e-film into reality, it would still be my primary camera.

Tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow