Is the Fuji pro X 1 right for my needs?

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the Fuji pro X 1 right for my needs?
In reply to bill jones, Aug 30, 2012

bill jones wrote:

Do you think we are close enough to the next model that it might be worth waiting?

It has only been on the market for only a few months. Probably no replacement until at least 2014 or beyond, if Fuji follows CaNikon in their spacing of flagship cameras.

A few things to add. My D700 without a lens or battery grip weighs 995g. The X-Pro1 with all three lenses only weighs 967g! While travel and shooting from a vehicle is fine with the D700, being on foot upon arriving at the destination, the lightness of the XP1 is greatly appreciated.

Haul out a big dSLR and everyone within sight knows there will be photography. Carry the XP1, and it is all but invisible. The shutter is audible—but barely, in comparison. Very stealthy, and produces great candid, decisive-moment images. Being able to seamlessly go from eye-level finder to LCD also increases the stealth. I appreciate zooms, but find no difficulty in returning to shooting exclusively with primes. Almost all my shooting is of people, and I can think of no better camera to capture life as it is lived.

Focus has been mentioned as an issue. I don't find it to be so. In days of manual focus cameras, prefocusing was essential. I carried the same habits over into AF cameras. Rarely has there ever been an exposure that was not anticipated, and with a half-press on the shutter, the camera is prefocused within a fraction of a second with high accuracy. A further nudge on the button captures the moment.

Fujinon lenses are not well known in the consumer marketplace but medium and large-format photographers working in the industry, as well as film-makers know them well. B&H in New York has many pages of movie Fujinons ranging from $2,000 to $160,000US. The three initial XP1 primes appear to be in every way the equivalent of the industrial-level Fujinons I shot with.

In combination with the new sensor technology, even wide open in low levels of light, the result is amazingly snappy. I was shooting at a cookout last weekend, down to 1/10th at f/1.4, ISO6400. As expected, camera and subject movement were a severe problem but nonetheless, I was able to produce some very crisp images. Illumination was the fire and skylight nearly an hour after sunset. Oh, and the camera was still focusing at that level, though one needed to hold the camera very steady while doing the half-press and make sure the subject was in the focus rectangle.

It is clearly based upon the lovely Contax G2, but brought up to date as a digital camera. It is very different from a CaNikon, so give yourself time to work through the rather thin manual and practice a bunch. If you have an iPad, there is a very nice guide available free, well illustrated and decently translated.

I accepted the fact that it would be different, but found the comfort zone quickly. It is a camera for experienced photographers. There are no training wheels, scene modes or anything like that. It does what it is told, but expects you to understand camera operation and photography well enough to tell it what it needs to know.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow