Heading to DX DSLR or Micro 4/3?

Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Gene L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?
Some rambling thoughts...
In reply to Fabio Pirovano, Aug 30, 2012

Micro Four Thirds is a great compromise between size and performance. A work buddy has the Olympus Pen E-1 (I think) and is getting great photos with it. Of course the glass is what really matters, but the Olympus jpg engine is doing a nice job too. Here is a link to some suggested Micro 4/3 body and fast lenses.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1002&message=42371403

If going with an APS camera, you really can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. The new Pentax K-30 looks good too. Lenses are really where the action is. Think in terms of focal length and max aperture (and of course quality). In this regard you fare well too, but at varying price levels. Some of the third party alternatives are very cost effective, like the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC.

Canon's 600D will not disappoint (better yet, the 650D). You mention the Canon 18-135 IS, and I would like to steer you away from that. It is a great focal range, but the the slow and variable aperture is a negative and image quality is somewhat underwhelming. Not terrible, just not all that good. The 55-250 on the other hand is quite good in spite of the near toy build quality.

I have Canon gear, so that is my perspective. I have owned 300D, 400D, 450D, and 60D. All of these are capable cameras, but the 60D is by far the most pleasurable to use because of its improved ergonomics and features, which include menus, controls and placement, grip style and texture. The articulating screen became much more useful than anticipated. The high ISO performance is quite good too.

The Nikons that I've played with are comfortable too, but the controls seem more complex compared to Canon. Part of this may simply be lack of familiarity or because they were older models. I would prefer the Nikon flash system, but that's about it.

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow