Handling huge files

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
djedi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,761Gear list
Like?
If you check the Lightroom forums...
In reply to cosmonaut, Aug 30, 2012

You will find much banter about this, esp. in relation to LR3 vs LR4 but also including big D800 files.

As I said recently in another post, my first computer's hard drive could not have handled even 1/3 of a D800 RAW file. Does that mean I never upgraded my camera?
Of course not.

Loading the first D800 RAW files into LR4 I too was disappointed in my computer's performance. But checking the sys monitor I saw that while my RAM useage was not near capacity (8GB) my CPU was topping out at 100%. This is quite common (according to the LR users). Often the graphics card, CPU, and even motherboard bus can be your largest bottlenecks. Even the drive your virtual memory (swap file) is located on can slow you down. This is why a lot of graphics pros are switching to SSD's. My 2004 mobo and Athlon dual core 2.8Ghz were just not cutting it so I am upgrading everything.
Wolfgang

-- hide signature --

Old timer

djedi's gear list:djedi's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Nikon D300 Olympus PEN E-PL3 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow