How does a lens hood and circular polarizer work together?

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,958Gear list
Like?
Re: How does a lens hood and circular polarizer work together?
In reply to Mark B., Aug 30, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

jammyjammy wrote:

Ok i'm about to go all out and buy a circular polarizer for my 14-45mm lens for when i go trekking in nepal.

How does a cpl work in practice?

Firstly i was gonna get one without a front filter thread (for cost reasons)

So-called 'thin' polizers typically cost a little more, but that's the right way to go with a wide angle lens.

True, although if you can get away with it a normal size polarizer can be less of a hassle; I have a slim B+W which I love but there's a good chance my fat fingers will end up on it...

. If i do and therefore cannot attach a lens cap when it is not in use, do i have to take it off when i put my camera away? Are there other solutions?

If i was to put my lens hood on then how does one turn the polarizer to the right strength? reach into the hood?

Personally I use the hood with or without a polarizer. Yes, it takes a few extra seconds to remove the hood to adjust the polarizer, but with an ultra wide lens you want the hood in place to reduce flare. Some folks have cut a notch in the bottom of the hood to adjust the polarizer w/o removing the hood.

This is probably the best way to use it; unfortunately I'm usually fidgeting with the polarizer and forget about the hood...

Do you need a lens hood with a cpl?

See above.

Mark

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow