Which ultra-wide angle lens for national park?

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Montana500
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,094
Like?
Re: Which ultra-wide angle lens for national park?
In reply to Dave Guy, Aug 30, 2012

Dave Guy wrote:

I'm going to be visiting Glacier National Park and I was going to rent a UWA lens for the scenery. Would you recommend the Canon 14 f/2.8L II or the 16-35/2.8 L II ? (I'm on a FF camera.) I don't have much experience with UWA's, so I'm not sure if I'd rather have the wider angle or the zoom capability.

I'll probably also be carrying a telephoto zoom.

Thanks for any advice.

Rent the 16-35 2.8 if you want to shoot the night sky. Rent the 17-40 otherwise. The optical results are very similar.

Glacier National Park is the most scenic park in the lower 48. It does everything, and does it well. What people don't realize is that at its heart, it's a water park. Because of this, you want a lens that can take a CP filter, This greatly enhances water shots (something that can't be done in post). The 17-40 and 16-35 take filters.

That said, I find my most used landscape focal range in Glacier to be 24-100. I enjoy getting compressed landscapes over those big lakes. The UWA is for when you are in the forest, or in tight river canyons. Isee too many images where people have "shrunk" the mountains with UWA. UWA work best with a large, immediate foreground element, which again makes them perfect for forests or tight river canyons.

Also, Glacier is one of the best parks (if not the best) in the lower 48 for certain kinds of wildlife. I'll be spending a month there in late September/October with a 7D, 24-105L, 300 F4 L IS, 17-40L, and a Sigma 10-20. I only tent, which makes things even more interesting.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow