Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 907Gear list
Like?
Viewfinder options for RX100
Aug 30, 2012

So I am about to get my hands on my own RX100 (it's a gift so I'm being made to wait!) and while in just about every regard the RX100 to me is the perfect small camera to compliment an SLR as a pocket camera (I don't want to invest in yet another system, have NX, NEX and m43's cameras but can't see myself investing in good optics for them, would rather have just one 'system').

Anyway, my only gripe is possibly the lack of a viewfinder on the RX, which I obviously knew going in but didn't want it to stop me from having the perfect (for me) 'other camera'. I should also clarify that I am a prime shooter almost exclusively and mostly will use the RX at the wide end (28mm equiv) though happy to have the zoom for 'snaps'.

So what I have been thinking is getting a nice flat shoe and double sided taping it to that perfect little spot between the two microphones, directly on the axis of the lens (almost like it was made for it!) and then attaching a nice 28mm optical viewfinder to it, which I think will work wonders with this camera.

But started thinking about it more and more and am now thinking of a couple of finders for different FL and restricting my use for the day to that FL, OVF combo. I think if I had something that covered 24mm and 35mm framelines (I know the RX only goes to 28mm but a lot of those finders don't seem to cover the full field of view that they are supposed to so having a little extra width shouldn't hurt). That and a 50mm and I'd be set!

Then I came across this fairly unique (to me) voigtlander finder that essentially just adds a bright frame to your natural vision (one eye looking out, other eye see's only the bright frame and your brain adds them together) for roughly 50mm equiv so I have snatched that up to give it a try.

So I guess a) is anyone interested in seeing this tried out, or something they would also be interested in trying and b) any suggestions for not-too-ridiculously priced quality shoe mount OVFs that would cover 28mm well (preferably over framed) that I should try out?

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow