Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
D800 & the amazing 85 1.4G
Aug 30, 2012

I am trying to adapt myself to the 85mm 1.4G.

Shooting with the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 VRII is easy as a breeze, but with the 85 1.4G I am learning to be more patient and to give that little second for the focus to settle down and also to shoot as close to the subject as possible.

For a while I was shooting exclusively @ F1.4 and I loved it but in Vietnam I started to shoot @ f.2 for better sharpness.

Now that I have processed roughly 50/% of those pics I can tell that I prefer to shoot @ F1.4 over F.2 and can't a really big difference in terms of sharpness.

On the other end I like the bokeh of F1.4 best.

I guess I will be back shooting almost exclusively at F1.4 with this lens.

Haven't made tests with the some subject but there is a visible difference and 1.4 is more pleasing to my eyes.

Here are three pics, the first two were shot at F.2 and the last one @ F1.4.

These were taken at Quyet Tien Market in Vietnam.

Thank you for viewing

PS: I just realized they are highly compressed, from 100 to 160 Kb each image. Running CS6 in 10 bit mode doesn't allow me to see how big the saved file will be, sorry about that.

F2

F1.4

-- hide signature --
 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow