Do optical WB filters improve RAW color latititude?

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
hjulenissen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,611
Like?
Re: Sensor filters and colour accuracy
In reply to ZOIP, Aug 30, 2012

ZOIP wrote:

The point I was trying to get across, (poorly I am afraid) in response to one of the posts made was that it is not the differing levels of exposure in the channels that give us good colour but the spectral separation enabled by the 3 colour filters, the exposure variance is a necessary by product of the process which if we could avoid it would be preferable.

"good color" is a subjective term. I assume that color filters that closely mimic those of the standardised human observer is a necessary prerequisite. If you want to improve on that, I think that you need to sweep a set of narrow bandpass filters in front of a (best-case) un-filtered sensor. That is what is done in hyper-spectral imaging, and I believe that color-critical applications (such as reproduction work) use such methods.

My understanding of the thread-starter is that he is generally curious as to how color filters in front of his camera can "improve" his pictures (another subjective term).

threadstarter wrote:

I am thinking that digital RAW files would have more color latitude if they were pre-white-balanced during exposure by a color correction filter.

I have allready presented arguments to why "inter-channel exposure variance" can be both a bad thing and a good thing. If you disagree, I would appreciate that you adressed those.

-h

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
WhyNew
SeeNew
niceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow