5D Mark III beyond repair? Need repair advice.

Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tony Northrup
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
5D Mark III beyond repair? Need repair advice.
Aug 30, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I tripped and whacked my camera on the pavement while it was attached to a Canon 500 f/4. You might have seen a post about it by my friend Kris who whitnessed it.

I sent it off to Precision Camera for repair (this repair aside, don't use them, their service is appalling). Yesterday, after receiving zero communications from them, they sent the camera back with a note saying that it's beyond repair. I sent them an email about it:

Unfortunately we could not repair this unit due to the excessive damage. The cost would have far exceeded the value.

The damage we listed when we received this unit was; mounting ring on camera is bent, cracked and broken, scratches, 1 screw unscrewed & 1 screw missing, dust, wear on body, scratches, smudges on lcd, rubber on viewfinder hood is torn

If this were a T3, I'd totally understand, but it's hard for me to imagine that this is more than $3500 in damage. Searching around I found people who had similar repairs done for about $350.

I can't get Precision Camera to provide me any details and I'm sure whoever looked at it has long since forgotten it. The sensor, mirror, electronics, and all internals seem undamaged.

The mount on the body seems straight, but perhaps they detected that it's bent. I'm sure the threads for the screws are stripped. By all accounts, it looks like I could just replace CS2-7205 and CA1-7777, plus the screws and lock pin, but I know with cars sometimes serious damage isn't visible.

My questions are:

• Would the cost to replace the frame be greater than the value of the body?

• Is it possible that Precision Camera simply doesn't have experience with the newer body or they don't have access to the replacement parts they need?

• Should I try sending it to Canon for repair (on the premise that they might be more equipped than Precision Camera), or just file a claim with my insurance (I'm a pro with business coverage but would have to cover the deductible). There's no reason I couldn't do both, but if someone is confident that the body is FUBAR, I won't waste another three weeks sending it to Canon.

Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Canon EOS 5D Mark III Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow