Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tommygun45
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
DMF Frustrations
Aug 30, 2012

I enjoy the concept of DMF. Sometimes it is fantastic. However, lately I have been really frustrated with it. Here is why.

It is an ergonomic PIA.

In order to use it you have to...

Half click the shutter and maintain your trigger finger in a very careful manner, a little too much pressure and the picture is taken, too little pressure and the DMF deactivates.

Now, the problem I have alot is that when I auto focus, in that first step, the AF system picks something far away from what I am intending to actually focus on. When this happens it is a nightmare. When activating DMF the camera will then zoom into the AF spot it has selected. The problem then is that, given the very delicate hold I have to have on the shutter, I then have to use the control dial to move the LCD screen to where I actually want to focus, all the while zoomed in and potentially a little disoriented in the frame.

I find myself constantly releasing the pressure just a bit too much and having to start from scratch.

Also, I think the 2 second minimum review is too much. I find myself waiting those 2 seconds feeling like its an eternity but I am unable to x out of the mode because I fear my trigger finger will lose its position on the shutter!

Now when it AF's on the portion that I want, then its a dream and is easy to use, but if its off, its a nightmare.

Anyone have a better method for using DMF? Perhaps touch to focus? But even that jumps all over the place on my LCD at times for no real reason.

Others have this issue?

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow