★ Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 229 August/29/2012 ★

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,813
Like?
Kevin, Re: Recurrent Dream
In reply to redsox, Aug 30, 2012

redsox wrote:

it is nicely composed with the foreground grasses framing the young boy who is looking off in the expanse of blue. Psychologically, is it the boy's joyful dream to be off into the freedom and possibility of the future, or a fearful dream of the vast and unknown qualities of life; or is it my recurrent dream to be a carefree boy again on a sunny beach; or . . . . ?

A lot of stories come to mind, so the boy as subject peering out to sea kicks the imagination into gear.

Exactly the kind of reception I hoped for with this photo -- lots of possibilities. All those you mention and more. For example, another might be the watchful anxiety of adults under their umbrellas at seeing their child nearing the edge of their zone of protection.

Something about the scene suggested to me that it could represent a fragmentary recurring dream of childhood, a snippet of the past that one could not even be sure whether it happened or not, and which dreams frustratingly often end before any conclusive scenario.

I will say that from my point of view the photo seems a bit underexposed. I would probably try to brighten it up a bit, particularly so the ocean is a little less vivid.

I was going for a more vivid cast to evoke the dream quality, and for a dark far water horizon, to suggest a vague potential threat or danger, which sometimes occur in dreams.

My PP work isn't very precise, both from lack of knowledge/interest/practice, and from using a laptop which returns iffy color and bright/dark, so probably I missed the mark on this one. I have calibrated the laptop monitor, but with little if any improvement that I can see. I hope to get back to using my desktop computer in the near future.

Thanks for your comment and analysis, Kevin; I appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow