ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tmaxey1
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Understand Hybrid Focus
Aug 30, 2012

Hello Everyone

I have been reading the release info on the new Nex 5r and I am wondering about this new Hybrid Phase/ contrast detection autofocus.

From the way it was presented it would help with focus speed by using Phase Detection. Then it would use contrast detection to finish off the focusing on finer details.

Here is my concern. The current series of NEX cameras dont have just a speed issue with Auto Focus. They have an accuracy issue. They have a serious problem with focusing on the wrong object in a frame. If the system is using Contrast to achieve the real focus then whats to stop it from focusing on the wrong object still? Also I dont really see speed of focus as being my main issue. Well to be fair I guess its an issue since I have to recompose and refocus the camera so often to get the correct object in focus so in this case faster focus means less amount of time between attempts while trying to achieve focus on the person in the shot instead of the blades of grass behind them.

Also the previews of the Canon mirrorless hybrid system has been less than great.

Why cant Sony just make the came full time phase detection like the Alpha line? They are admitting that PDAF is the superior method. So why not just have this only. I am envisioning the issue where PDAF is used and then at the end of the focus when CDAF takes over the system picks the wrong focal points again.

I may be way off base and I hope that I am. I have just been so annoyed with the number of missed photos when taking the quick shot of the kids who never stop moving. I am trying to figure out how a hybrid system will help me get focus when they are always moving.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow