is Nikon 24-85VR good enough or Tamron 24-70 VC

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ira Blumberg
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Re: is Nikon 24-85VR good enough or Tamron 24-70 VC
In reply to kliang, Aug 30, 2012

I have not tried the Nikon 24-85. When I purchased my D800, the first lens I got was the Tamron 24-70. I have been very happy with it so far. Others have reported focus issues and blurring at higher shutter speeds when VR is engaged. However, I have not experienced either problem.

First thing I did after purchasing was to set up a focus test to fine tune the lens. I shot at 24mm and 70mm and found that the lens needed no fine tuning at either end and repeatedly focused just fine at center. I even shot a few tests with the left most AF point and got good results. In real world use, focusing has been reasonably fast and accurate as well. Again, I may just be lucky as others have had issues.

One thing to note is that the Pop Photo review indicated fairly serious vignetting issues at the wide end even when stopped down a bit. I can confirm this issue. I took a few shots that included lots of blue sky and even at f/4 and f/5.6 vignetting in the corners is easily visible on my computer screen. This is easily fixed in PS or other programs. Also, note that the latest version of ACR 6 (and I assume 7) has data for this lens and can correct vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberration automatically. You do have to identify the lens as a Tamron, but once you select Tamron in the menu, ACR knows which lens and does the rest for you.

While several hundred dollars cheaper than the Nikon 24-70, this lens is not small or light, so don't buy it thinking it will be good for casual carry around use. This lens on my D800 makes the overall camera heavy enough that I will only carry it in a backpack, not on a shoulder strap.

Good luck,
Ira

Ira Blumberg's gear list:Ira Blumberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow