Bye , bye summer......

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,672
Like?
Re: Bye , bye summer......
In reply to hotdog321, Aug 29, 2012

hotdog321 wrote:

Yeah, I save up all year to go to Glacier or the Canadian Rockies during the summer! I run across a lot of Houston folks up there.

Cool! (...pun intended...)

It's usually safe to fly 5 nautical miles away from an active thunderstorm and 15 from a severe one.

One day at Sheppard AFB we were summoned to an hangar as part of a safety briefing.

The T38 didn't have a weather radar (...I reckon it still doesn't...) and, in flight, we were steered away from active cells by ACC. The one standing in that hangar had been steered around a build-up by about 20NM. The rudder of that Talon featured holes where you could put a fist through, from hail stones throw away from a Texan Cumulonimbus, much like it would look if it had sustained combat cannon hits.

Flash floods, tornadoes, hail storms, covering clouds undercasts rolling and bubbling in real time, like they were being fast-forwarded in some sciece-fi movie...you name it!

...I will say this until the end of my life. You've not see "Weather", until you've see it in Texas.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow