We wuz robbed !!!!!

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
TOR8472
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?
Re: Exactly +1
In reply to Tom Hoots, Aug 29, 2012

I feel the same way. I'm looking for a good enough pocketable camera to carry everywhere and buy a waterproof housing for. I was hoping the Nikon V1 would be it since I own Nikon DSLRs, but it does not quite meet my needs. It is no surprise that the first pocketable camera of interest to me is the succcessor in the line of the last compact camera I bought - the Sony DSC V1. Looking forward to getting one prior to summer vacation period unless Nikon really surprises me with a V2 and some better lenses.

I don't care about the gold vs. silver thing, but I was surprised also. That said, I found the review highly useful. I go through the "cons" list, and if none of them are serious concerns for me, I know I've found the camera I want.

Tom Hoots wrote:

Kirwin wrote:

...by creating a camera with many astounding attributes of a large sensor camera that can fit in your pocket!

I think of the G1X as "the camera nobody really wanted" -- sure, since the advent of the "mirrorless" cameras, plenty of folks have said that they want a bigger sensor like that in a compact-style camera, myself included, but I don't think anyone was expecting a camera virtually as big and heavy as a DSLR body when Canon finally made that happen.

Then Sony finally comes along a proves that "They get it" -- they understand that what an enormous percentage of what the 'enthusiast' market wants is a bigger sensor in a fully pocketable sized camera.

In the end, you know, I don't really care what anyone else thinks about the RX100, or any other camera I own -- the RX100 fits my needs absolutely perfectly, and it is essentially that "perfect camera" I've been looking for ever since I began to comprehend the concept of different-sized sensors. It's just how DPReview's subjective ranking just kind of throws a blanket over major innovation -- gosh, "why bother" go to all the effort to create something that nobody has ever been able to make before, when the rankings just don't even begin to consider that effort in the end.

Oh, well. I expect that Sony's sales will show that "near-DSLR image quality that fits in your pocket" is more valuable to their customers than DPReview found it to be in their rankings.

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

TOR8472's gear list:TOR8472's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow