A Compact with Swivel-Screen for Traveling?

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
abriwin
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: A Compact with Swivel-Screen for Traveling?
In reply to h2k, Aug 29, 2012

Like you I have been waiting rather desperately for a replacement to the G12 as I have a G11 which let me down badly last year on a holiday where I had made a special trip to catch the harvest moon over a pagoda just outside Kyoto Japan. Loads of noise ruined the image. Plus my focussing went belly up.

There's no point in buying a G12 as I am pretty sure that the moment I do canon will release it's sucessor!

Fortunately I still have until the beginning of October before I go away with no signs or even rumours of a G14.

I pity your situation as your final date for a replacement is only days away and I wonder what you have decided. The G1X is too big and slow for travel with restricted zoom and poor macro. The EOS M (nice body but the lenses are BIG) not available till mid October (why bother to announce it now if it won't be available for months?)

What options remain? The Sony RX100 which has no swivel screen but a good sensor? Or the Nikon P7700 on which we only know that it might be available sometime towards the end of September. Actually looks like a G12 clone, has a CMOS sensor and a decent zoom lens, even the swivelling screen.

I must admit to feeling desperate I'd hate to buy the RX100 only to find the G14 released the following day

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow