Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
Re: The computational lag is from the sensor readout
In reply to boggis the cat, Aug 29, 2012

boggis the cat wrote:

thorkilry wrote:

Durm wrote:

Not talking about "Shutter Lag".

Talking about Actual difference between when something actually happens and when you see it in the EVF. Its fairly short, and could be compensated for if it didn't change.

You wouldn't want to "compensate" for it.

The "viewer lag" is caused by the time it takes the camera electronics to process the signal coming from the sensor and getting it to the EVF. Compensating for it is difficult because the length of the delay changes as the light level changes.

The EVF is basically a direct feed. This is also used for the CDAF, as can be seen by better AF when the EVF is set to higher contrast etc.

As it is a direct feed, any lag is experienced by the sensor. So if you have a 200 ms lag between the real view and the EVF you'll have a slightly less than 200 ms lag between the real view and the sensor. This means that provided you base your timing on the EVF you can achieve the same precision as with a DSLR. The problem is typically the shutter lag, and tripping it without inducing shake.

Im not "anti-EVF", I love the darn things, and shoot through them all the time (two of my favorite 4 cameras that I own are m43) but after using them for a long time I'm very much aware of their limitations.

I have the E620 OVF,the VF-2 and the EM-5 EVF.
I prefer the EM-5 in daylight and it's leages above in dim light.

The "lag" is visible in both the EVFs, but the EM-5 has the Highframe mode where the " lag" is non visible for me, or my shooting.....

The high frame-rate mode is for tracking fast action more easily. This is the problem with relatively low refresh rates -- you are not getting an analogue signal (as you do with a DSLR) and it is harder to track objects when they are jumping around in your perception (and at a low resolution).

A mirror lets us use our normal sight, while an EVF sets several confusing artificial constraints on our sight. Once EVFs get high enough in resolution and fast enough in refresh rate this will no longer be an issue.

I guess we can say that you and I agree boggis...

It is my feeling that the manufacturers will get there eventually, and we will actually have EVFs that can directly replace OVFs for all of us.

I use both, and truth be told, I like the EVF on my G3 better than any other VF I have ever used except for my 35mm film cameras. (I like it as much as those, but not more!).

Since I have retired from "event shooting" I almost always pick up the G3 & the EPL1 to go out and shoot.

From time to time though, I still use the E-1/300/510/520/620 et al when going out to shoot certain things..

My Canon DSLRs are just collecting dust...

-- hide signature --

Durm

I always know what I mean to say, but I dont always manage to say it clearly.

Owner & user of a bunch of E-series and m43 cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow