Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John McMillin
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
One key detail missing from the RX-100 review
Aug 29, 2012

Some aspects of DPR's reviews have improved since the early days. This review's image quality samples and DR page were better, for example. But nothing I saw in the review answered the first question I always have about any new model: what's the flash sync speed limit?

You can knock Ken Rockwell all you want, but one of his strong points is his awareness of the value of daylight fill-flash. A higher sync speed lets you use smaller flashes in brighter circumstances. I just replaced an Olympus E-620, limited to 1/180, for a Fuji x10, whose leaf shutter allows use of every shutter speed with flash. You can't go past 1/1000 without serious EV loss, as the shutter closes during the flash's duration, but even two stops more is a godsend.

I didn't read a word about the new Sony's shutter. Is it an in-lens leaf design, or a focal plane, or electronic? That level of fundamental detail used to always be listed in the older, more extensive spec sheets.

Whatever the speed, I'm glad I bought the Fuji. There are times when you need a VF, and it's a very good one. The x10s color and DR make a fine match for my a850's. The FF's bottomless detail isn't there, of course, but the Fuji pix are very satisfying at 100%. And the Fuji, with its little 2/3" sensor, has better noise performance out of the box, seemingly immune to chroma noise. Put a red dot on it, and it could be the next Leica.

John McMillin's gear list:John McMillin's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +10 more
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-620 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow