ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
darylmesa
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?
Ricoh GRD / GXR ....or olympus
Aug 29, 2012

Hello,

I'm currently in the search for a camera for my wife (but mainly a second camera for me )

I've owned dslrs from pentax to canon to nikon (D300 / D7000).

I recently emptied my dslr inventory and replaced it with Fuji X100. Like many, I can't complain about the IQ and with recent firmware updates the AF has even improved. It's improved mainly for static images, moving images still are very difficult to get.

I like the idea of zone focus but still find it quite limiting especially when trying to work with objects closer to the camera and with a somewhat lower f stop.

My wife recently had a panasonic DMC..... which was great for a P&S. Since I pretty much always have a camera with me she slowly started using my cameras and started disliking the images produced by her P&S...so it went to my mother.

I've always shot with primes only, never zooms (just a personal preference), so she is used to fixed lenses.

My choices are narrowing down to grd iii / iv (depending on availability, price, condition of camera) GXR 24-72 or even an olympus EPL 1/2

What I think I like about the Ricoh:

1. Snap focus ( this has to be the number one thing I may like about the camera!)
I have a 'snap focus' in my camera 360 app for my mobile and love it!
2. build quality and size
3. 'art filters' and 1:1 square option.

Though there are limited 'art filters', they do exist in the camera (GRD to my knowledge, not so sure about GXR) Cross-process and contrasty B&W (All I really like anyway)

What I think I like about the olympus:
1. Art filters

2. size (compared to dslr / I always have a small bag of some sort with me, since I hate putting things in my pocket...so 'pocketable' not such a deal breaker)

I've mentioned 'art filters' twice in my choices because though I know PP is cleaner and better at producing the same effect, I just don't always want to do PP and my wife will NEVER PP

Thanks for any and all of your help

Daryl

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow