Do optical WB filters improve RAW color latititude?

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,071
Like?
Re: Do optical WB filters improve RAW color latititude?
In reply to ZOIP, Aug 29, 2012

ZOIP wrote:

I may well be wrong about this and happy to be proven so, but as far as I know colour accuracy is not a product of differing degrees of exposure across the three channels but rather the cut off of colours brought about by having filters that better reject wavelengths outside their filter colour. In other words if the filters are significantly different we get better seperation and improved colour. One of the reasons phone cams for example have such poor colour is the high degree of cross-talk between the colour channels which is seen as a fair compromise in order to keep the noise levels under control for such small sensors and allow practical usage under lowish light levels.

To get this improved degree of separation requires the one or more of the filters to have greater density than the others and this along with a couple of other factors means the channels have differing sensitivities as a byproduct.

Thousands of fully balanced captures that I have made have consistently produced better not worse colour and this especially applies to subtle natural shades in skin, foliage etc. Having said that one does need to do some profiling etc to get the optimal results, it is not a trivial matter but in my experience the ultimate result is better not worse colour.

Another thought provoking post. Given today's sensor state of the art....a really accurste WB card and camera custom WB capability.....I wonder if we are on the same page when it comes to "better color" vs "accurate color". Just thinking out loud. Color checker anyone

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
WhyNew
SeeNew
niceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow