Elinchrom Quadra Lithium Ion Battery Issue

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
RayR
Regular MemberPosts: 283
Like?
Re: Odd statement from the owner of Elinchrom
In reply to tundracamper, Aug 29, 2012

I don't really see the relevance of your question.

If you bought a Canon DSLR 5 years ago and then decided you wanted to buy a battery grip for it, so you could use AA batteries, would you be very happy if Canon said "Oh, you want to use AA batteries instead of a BP-511A. You'll need to pay £40 to get your camera modified to handle that type of battery."?

I think you're trying to say I've had n years use of my Quadra system therefore I should be happy to pay £40 per flash head to be able to use the new battery with them. My view is I paid around £1700 for a flash system and I'm quite happy to pay another £530 for 2 new lithium-ion batteries and a new charger for them. I'm not happy to pay to get the heads modified to work with the new battery as I think, quite reasonably in my eyes, that when you design an accessory that you market as "backward compatible" it really should be and you shouldn't go expecting your customers to pay extra to work around a problem you created for them in your original design.

I'd still like to know why the design of the lithium ion battery couldn't be modified to make it truly backward compatible even if you had to buy a battery conversion accessory to make it work. At least then you'd only have to buy one of them instead of having to pay for each flash head to be modified.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow