Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Conrad Birdie
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?
Re:all have weak spots
In reply to richardplondon, Aug 29, 2012

richardplondon wrote:

GHwell wrote:

I have yet to find a canned program that can do it better than a skilled PS person can in layers. It all depends on what you are willing to accept. In PS 5 and above the stitching program does better than most. I did a 6 shot hand held pano at 16 mm of a sewage clarifier and only had to adjust three places in the hand rails after it was done in PS 5. That is the best results I have ever gotten.

Hugin, http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

It is perhaps the best manual stitching software package I have ever seen. But it does have a learning curve.

Have you ever used a program that lets you adjust control points manually as a fine-tuning of auto stitch alignment? It allows far more precision in problematic situations, than any automatic method can - or, than simply dragging the images around by eye within an assembly preview. You get to specify what is important, and what is not - for example, moving water or blowing leaves or parallax errors in shooting can cause spurious stitch alignments - but manually selecting exact points placed on the specifically still elements in the scene, can usually still stitch the otherwise unstitchable, or stitch it well instead of badly.

This is not unique to PTGui, but the second video on this page illustrates the control points idea quite well :

http://www.ptgui.com/videotutorials.html

The idea of trying to use PS warping to get similar results in a coordinated way across more than one layer, by hand alone, makes me shudder!

RP

-- hide signature --

Conrad Birdie

"The truest measurement of a man's heart is not what he does when he has wealth, but what he does when he doesn't".

Conrad Birdie's gear list:Conrad Birdie's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Olympus E-510
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow