Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159
Like?
Question about ISO
Aug 29, 2012

I saw some D700 and D800 comparison and some people suggested to comapre at base ISO, which is 100 for the D800 and 200 for the D700. I'm going to upgrade my camera (hopefully soon) and the main reason is ISO. I'm actually using mostly high ISO but I was still curious about this.

The reason people suggested to use base ISO is apparently because this has the best dynamic range. But I guess the question is, how do the cameras expose the photo? Does ISO 200 on the D700 equals ISO 200 on the D800 as far as equivalent aperture and shutter speed, or are ISO 200 and ISO 100 (repsectively) compare?

My main use of high ISO (with 1.4 lenses usually) is for shutter speed, otherwise impossible to take the photos I want. AFAIK it is the same ISO that is compared when comparing ISO noise of different cameras, but I guess the shutter speed you actually get is also important to consider.

For example, let's say one camera (not necessarily the D700 or the D800, just in theory) has half a stop better ISO noise than another at the same ISO. The first gives a 1/200 shutter at ISO 1600 and second gives the same shutter at 1/800 for whatever reason. I imagine a situation like this is possible, especially with different companies etc. In that case the second is actually better for noise when compared with shutter speed. I mean, who really know how much light any combination of things (lens, aperture size, ISO, etc.) will give, or is it really pretty much "standard"?

I just don't want to get a camera that is supposedly has better ISO but in reality it will be countered by giving a slower shutter at equivalent ISO. Is it pretty much the same on most/all cameras when comparing ISO or is this something I'd have to just try the cameras to find out?

Thanks

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow