RX vs J1: controlled ISO comparisons (RAWs)

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053
Like?
RX vs J1: controlled ISO comparisons (RAWs)
Aug 29, 2012

I thought this comparison was especially interesting, given that they are both the same size sensors. I wanted to see what the RX100's 20MP gives over the J1's 10MP. Was Sony out of its mind cramming 20MP into a 1" sensor? Lets find out.

I downloaded the RAWs from Imaging Resources, and I updated my Lightroom to 4.2 beta to be able process them. Here's my methodology (anybody can repeat what I did and confirm the results)

• Imported all NEFs and ARWs file into Lightroom 4.2

• Not touching any develop settings (everything default), export the NEF files to JPEG, at 90 quality

• Similarly at Lightroom defaults, export ARWs to JPEG, at 90 quality, but also resizing the files to match the J1's smaller resolution.

• Imported the converted JPEGs into Lightroom again, use the "compare" tool to make side-by-side judgements, and capture the screenshot.

• Save resulting screenshot at 100% JPEG quality (I used XnView for this, but many other free progs can do this easily)

And without further ado, here are the results (in subsequent posts):

Nikon 1 J1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow