Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,207Gear list
Like?
Just for fun: E-M5 + 45mm + E-P2
Aug 29, 2012

Having grown up with film SLR's manufactured by Konica, Minolta and Olympus, I have a natural affinity for elegantly designed smaller cameras. To my sensibilities, Olympus lately has a corner on this market, which leads me to...

My ideal "fun" kit: adding an E-M5 body with the currently rebated 45mm prime along with an E-P2 (yes, you read that correctly) body to my current stable: E-510 (mostly on the shelf these days), E-620 and E-PM1 with lenses including the mFT 14-42 II and 4/3's 9-18mm, 40-150mm and 70-300mm plus adapter.

I fell in love with the design of the E-P1 when it first came out but never got around to buying one, instead opting for the E-PM1. But the itch has never gone away and the price of the E-P2 (which allows use of the VF-2) has become tantalizing. And viewing its JPEG and Raw quality on DPR's comparison with the E-PM1 and E-P3, if anything it looks better up to ISO 800.

The E-M5 is an obvious choice: great design, excellent features, astounding DR and high ISO capability. It would open new doors in my photography.

And instead of getting the mediocre kit 12-50mm, opt for the excellent 45mm prime for $250 after rebate to go along with it.

Total outlay: just under $1500. Result? scads of fun.

I keep my cameras rather than sell them off (still have my Konica TC and OM-2S), enjoying their designs and the memories of places I've been with them. For an auto enthusiast it would be akin to being able to take out a vintage Lotus Elan (E-P2), a Mini Cooper (E-PM1), or BMW M3 (E-M5) depending on the mood of the day.

But for a whole lot less money. Just some idle thoughts, be curious what others think.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow