Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Klein
Contributing MemberPosts: 969
Like?
Nikon V1 vs. Sony RX100 ...thoughts and sample photos
Aug 29, 2012

I've been a very happy Nikon V1 owner now for 6 months...I had a bunch of gift certificates ect...so I thought I'd try out the Sony RX100...since this is the hottest camera in P&S now...Before I go into what I think...I've been on these boards before mentioning that I wasnt that impressed with the picture quality I saw from the early pics posted here..since then..I've seen some very good pics from owners of this camera so I decided to give it a try..First off, the Nikon V1 is three times the size of the Sony RX100 so obviously it weighs alot more...and cant comfortably fit into a pocket like the RX100.

I took both camera's out and tried to shoot the same scenes using both...this is not a scientific study by any means...and all the pics on the sony were shot using the superior intelligence mode. I just figured that would give me the best quality according to sony possible...specially in the outdoor lighting that these pics were shot in...The camera has very little lag....which surprised me....but my biggest gripe with the camera is the lack of the EVF. In bright light its almost impossible to see the screen and what your trying to compose...that takes away alot of the fun in using a camera in my opinion. Since the Nikon V1 has this, it makes for much more enjoyable picture taking...also, the Nikon V1 feels more responsive and it feels more solid...the Sony feels like a cheap P&S camera which of course its not. The scene modes built in are very cool...but as others have pointed out..the menuing system can be very confusing. The feature that I thought worked great..was the panoramic mode which just lets you sweep and keeps on taking pics and then stitches it for you seamlessly. That worked great...I think in time..the little

piece of cheap plastic covering the connector to allow you to recharge feels like it will crack off. One of the reasons I decided to try it..is that I love the I.Q the Nikon V1 produces, even if its not a 20 megapixel camera...I keep reading how everyone thinks the RX100 is so much better than any P&S camera or for that matter some DSLR's. I think it takes nice pictures, but not really any better than the Nikon V1...in the pics listed below...the first of the set is the Nikon V1 and the second is the RX100. Most of you in this forum Im sure will be biased towards the RX100, but to my eyes..I dont see a big difference in the I.Q of the two cameras...and in some cases I think the 10 megapixel V1 outperforms the Sony.Also, as far as im concerned the Nikon V1 is much more fun to use..and it handles like an SLR ...where I didnt feel that using the RX100....take a look and comments welcome.

Nikon 1 V1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow