Epson R3000 duller colors?

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
BrightGuy
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: Epson R3000 duller colors?
In reply to AusPic, Aug 28, 2012

I'd like to share some experimental data that would support my preference for a modern pigmented ink set.

In terms of gamut volume, Epson R2000 with OEM UltraChrome HighGloss2 pigmented inks won Canon iP4800 series printer with UltraChrome100+ dye inks. Gamutvision calculated 808184 vs. 655928 volume units from profiles generated from the same targets and software for a given resin-coated high glossy paper. A great non-OEM pigmented ink for the Epson falls somewhat between (710204) in terms of gamut volume for this same paper. What I have noticed is that Canon dye ink produces the deepest black indeed (not by far from the Epson UCHG2 inks), but its gamut grows slower and off-centered (on Lab diagram) along the L* scale than the other two pigmented ink sets I have compared to, minimizing or even eliminating the practical usefullness of this better Dmax.

I do agree with some people who argue the glossiness of dye ink prints plays a lot on the subjective punchy feeling, specially with (but not only) high gloss papers. But this is minimized using a luster/satin paper finish, that would recover most the glossiness lost by the pigment layer.

BrightGuy's gear list:BrightGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow