First time DSLR/T user. To buy a65 or a77?

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mickyjtwin
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
First time DSLR/T user. To buy a65 or a77?
Aug 28, 2012

My wife and I have always been Point-and-shoot users. Since having our son, who is now nearly 1y/o, I would like to start taking better photos of him, as well as better photos of vacations (we travel every year).

I have read countless blogs, forums, opinion pieces etc on whether the a65 or a77 is the way to go.

We are both photography newbies. This will be our first foray into DSLR land, and it is very intimidating. I understand opinions will be subjective, however the more the merrier!

My 3 options so far are as follows:

1. a65 + Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD = $1150
2. a65 + Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM = $1357
3. a77 + Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM = $1485

For me, the two choices are 1 or 2. For the extra $10, I am happy to get the a77. $300 difference between 1 and 3 is not really a problem for me. I'm looking for the best starting setup, that we can learn and grow with over the next 5+ years. Obviously in time, if I go with option 3, I will get a zoom, as once our son starts playing sport etc, I'll need that extra zoom. Happy to do that later on, and/or get a decent prime lens too.

My biggest hang-ups at the moment with the a77, is size and weight (which I've read people mention). Both myself and my wife will use this camera, so I don't want it to be something that will be a hinderance.

Lastly, no matter which camera we get, once or both of us will go through a photography course to become more knowledgeable about photography.

Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to, and appreciate any/all comments which may sway me one way or the other.

Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow