Nikon 200-400mm NC filter and protective glass

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,472Gear list
Like?
Re: Protective meniscus front lens
In reply to bab99, Aug 28, 2012

bab99 wrote:

"Optical formula" sounds a lot like "necessary components of the complete optical design", so it would seem an important term to understand. To me it implies that without them the lens' optical sytem is not complete and won't deliver optimum image quality. Anyway, I'm not sure that question will be resolved here and I am okay with continuing to be confused about it for a while yet!

Bruce

Hey Bruce, you and me both. I'm not sure I understand what they mean by "part of the optical formula." With both my two lenses, they specifically state to leave the rear clear filter installed because the lens was designed to have glass at that location whether a filter or clear.

I've never read such a thing about the front protective glass other that the part about being part of the formula. I might guess they are saying that to let us know that we won't gain anything by taking it off. Maybe they're saying that you won't lose anything removing it, but there's no optical advantage either.

Like you, I don't mind that this remains unresolved. I enjoy my lenses and they seem to produce beautifully as they came out of the box.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow