Do Nikon and Canon histograms look different?

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688Gear list
Like?
Do Nikon and Canon histograms look different?
Aug 28, 2012

Just real curious here - I was shooting side by side last week with my friend who was shooting with his Canon (7D I think) and I was using my D700. We were talking about being careful not to blow out the highlights, so I took a look at his Canon histogram just for kicks. It had the bell shaped curve but the right side dropped off fast and that was it. My D700 histogram dropped off on the right side like that but then there was a little flat "finger" at the bottom before it approached the right hand side of the histogram. The little finger was obviously the little band of sky across the top of the photo, and the brightest highlight. We had the same composition and everything but his histogram would never have that little finger showing just the highlight sky part, just a bell curve that dropped off fast on the right side. ( We were both careful to not push the exposure too far and hit the right side of the histogram, and we checked all 3 colors on the histogram plus the white one, same thing). Would the histogram look different on a Canon?

Thanks loads,

Ernie Misner

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow