Rx100 IQ and sharpness isssue

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Sample of my RX100 at 100mm
In reply to jonrobertp, Aug 28, 2012

I thought this should be obvious. In general, it is completely normal. A few reasons here.

1. At the wide end, there is much less chance of focussing errors, due to the great DOF.

2. There is less chance of vibration affecting sharpness, and the effect of vibration is much less than when fully zoomed out.

3. There is less chance of diffraction affecting sharpness. The tele end of this camera almost guarantees some diffraction effect affecting sharpness due to the small aperture there.

4. Lenses are sharper when stopped down 1 or 2 stops from maximum aperture, so it should be much sharper unless you use only max apertures in comparisons.

5. There is more chance of a long mult-segment len barrel drooping or otherwise not having all elements in good alignment when extended (more affected by any errors of lens not in perfect alignment), and also more chance of tiny shakes affecting the extended lens.

6. Wide angle shots are often for landscapes or group shots, etc that will have lots of leaves and tiny details or whatever and such shots are more likely to have to be blown up big in prints and therefore require sharpness more than tele shots. Tele shots like portraits can be unflattering when too sharp, revealing all the skin imperfections. Atmospheric haze and dust also make tele shots of distant objects instrinsically less sharp than when taking objects closer by wide angle lens settings. So, when pushed for a choice, the lens designer will let the wide end have sharper images, in a general purpose lens.

I don't think I have seen any general purpose zoom lens that is not sharper at the wider end yet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow