Something is wrong with this woman

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?
Re: The Dresden Myth
In reply to Chato, Aug 28, 2012

Theres an amount of sympathetic popularism that goes with Irvings trumped up numbers as well as that letter from Churchill, but there was no intent to make any worse example of any other German city, it was simply an unhappy accident that it was 'the' city left on the current target list that had weather which made it acceptable for night bombing, coinciding with the already scheduled day raids by the USAF.

Dresden had not been raided much previously and I think its emergency services were less up to the task. Once the fires where allowed to get hold the fragile city burned like the inside of the Chattanooga chu chu's firebox.

I dont for a moment withdraw from the terrible consequences of those raids, to me Dresden was always an appeasement to Stalin and a target by the loosest of margins. But for people living in those times England was still in memory of the blitz and under attack by V weapons.

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow