Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,042Gear list
Like?
Multi Frame NR vs. Single exposure with the RX100
Aug 28, 2012

I did a little test comparing Multi Frame NR and matching single exposure with the RX100 at ISO6400. I set the aperture at f/6.3 to force the camera to set ISO6400 in the Multi-Frame mode, and then did a single exposure with the same settings. The shots were hand-held. I opened each jpeg image file in ACR Camera Raw, used the Auto processing setting (needed because the images were othewise too dark), then opened it in Photoshop CS6, resized to 1280 pixels wide and saved. There was no additional sharpening, noise reduction, or any other adjustment.

The first photo below is the Multi Frame, with the single exposure below that. What do you think? I think the MF image has less noise (look at the wall behind the figurines) and is a bit sharper--the latter probably because the camera uses a higher sharpening setting, but it doesn't seem excessive. Actually, I think both images look pretty good for ISO6400, but I prefer the one with Multi Frame NR. Of course, this is with a non-moving subject; if the subject is moving, the MF mode would give you blurring.

Bob

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow