Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mark Ehlers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881Gear list
Like?
OT: It is finished
Aug 28, 2012

I haven't been around here for a couple years, so I'm not sure if anyone will still remember me. I don't have anything Leica related to share, so I might be stomping on sacred ground. But if any of my old friends are still here and remember why I left, you might be interested in my recent news.

To those of you who might remember, I pretty much all but put down my cameras about 3 years ago when I returned to another old passion of mine, bicycling. Or more specifically, "ultra marathon cycling". After a 20 year hiatus, I returned to the ultra this year. Three years ago I had set a goal to break the 300 mile cycling record across the state of Wisconsin that has stood for 10 years. Well, at 3:00 am on August 19th, my support crew and I left Prescott, WI in hope of reaching Marinette, WI in less than 19 hours and 55 minutes (the old record).

The last couple hours was a real nail-biter, as my crew constantly was on my case to keep my speed up, while we communicated via 2-way radio. My longest one-day ride this year was 200 miles, and this was the first time I had ridden this much (298.1 miles to be exact) since I was 27 years old. I am now 54, twice the age.

Pending aproval by the U.M.C.A. (Ultra Marathon Cycling Association), there is now a new record: 19 hours and 43 minutes. A victory by 12 precious minutes.

You can see a few pics and more info in the link below (sorry, not taken with a Leica). Thank you for letting me interupt.

http://www.theprodigalcyclist.com/

-- hide signature --

• Mark Ehlers (formerly 'markE')

http://www.the prodigalcyclist.com

'Good street/wildlife photography is a controlled accident,
a vision of preparation and surrender materialized.'

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChoiNew
MikeNew
LeoNew
HansNew
JoeNew
DovNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow