D7000 Dissection

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 Dissection
In reply to johnny_rico, Aug 27, 2012

johnny_rico wrote:

My initial opinion is it's body is very modular in construction and because of this it doesn't appear to have much in the way of weather sealing.

It's typical Nikon, and 'modular' is not how I would describe the construction. Like every other Nikon dSLR, the construction doesn't seem to make it self mass-production friendly. There are a lot of chips, electrical connections and subprocessors... I think it shows that even state of the art-cameras aren't optimal pieces of technology. It would still be possible, just not business possible, to consolidate some of those processors, thereby reducing space and electrical consumption. That happened with other consumer electronics like Walkmans, mp3 players and phones... the early examples looked a lot like the inside of the D7000... as they iterated, the number of chips reduced. The inside of a modern smartphone is remarkably uncluttered looking given the horsepower that they put out.

I suspect that the reason why that isn't the case with dSLR's is because the subsystems (AF modules, signal processors) keep improving with time, so the economies of scale mean that they are still purchased and manufactured separately. Since you wouldn't be asking much of it, I'll bet you could make a 16mp compact with just one main onboard processor instead of the multiples that you see in a dSLR.

IMHO, weather sealing is nice but fairly overrated in terms of practical application. I have never heard of a consumer body dying from environmental issues. The pro bodies typically see more abuse and are constructed stronger, but your typical enthusiast level dSLR will last a very long time if used with some common sense. Still plenty of people using their D70's.

stuntmonkey's gear list:stuntmonkey's gear list
HTC One
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow