Photo organizing software with stacking (virtual copies)?

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,469
Like?
Then stay away from browser based organizers. . .
In reply to Jeff Seltzer, Aug 27, 2012

and concentrate on database driven titles. (i.e. generally where you have to import before use). The reason Lightroom (and I guess, PSE, I never tried it) can do virtual copies is that the basic appearance information can be recorded in the database record and not directly on the photo itself. To make a virtual copy, all that is required in a database driven title is a duplicate 'appearance' record tied to a single base image file in the database. Theoretically, you could have as many appearance records as you need for a given 'base' image file, each with a different 'appearance' set up.

In a browser based title like ACDSee, the image file is read and displayed and any changes are made directly to the base image, making it much harder for virtual copies to be created and manipulated in a competent manner. I guess it would be theoretically possible to do something like that, but I can't imagine that it would be as smooth and as bug free as in a database driven system (certainly not cheaply!)

People need to understand the difference between the 2 type of organizer methodologies, and understand that each has a set of strengths and weaknesses. And they need to understand that by selecting one sort of organizer over another, they are making a compromise that they will likely need to live with.

Basically, it boils down to speed of operation with OK display flexibility versus great display flexibility with OK speed.
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow