Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwater housing for RX100
In reply to OS74, Aug 27, 2012

Haha, work's been real tight since I got back from my trip. And I only just got round to washing my dive gear, so will post a short one now, and give a full run-down this weekend once I get past the work grind

On the RX100's performance:

• So far, I only shot with availablle sunlight and/or handheld flashlight

• Had no filter, so I maxed the built-in WB manually

• AF not quite fast enough for frenetic reef fish. OK for larger pelagics+macro

• Really needs a strobe or red-filter if you don't wanna do too much PP

• Even without a flash/filter, image white balance can be recovered quite well in PP

• Don't go above ISO200 if you want the sharpest detail, unless using strobes

• ISO400 onward, IQ gets crappy pretty quickly without good light

• The MR function was a real help!

• F1.8 is wonderful for shallow DOF shots underwater -wasn't possible with my previous cameras (the original Olympus Tough, and Panasonic FT-1)

• Video on this is pretty damn good, even in tough light conditions. Had a GoPro2 shooting the same scenes and it was no match for the RX100.

I'll need to dive at least coupla more times to get into my groove with this camera, but i can already tell it can do the job for me

On the Recsea housing:

• Deepest dive this weekened was 22.8m (75ft). No problems at all.

• Was a real pleasure to handle. So compact!

• In spite of my earlier concerns, I had no difficulties with any of the controls

• The half-press shutter works VERY well

To put it simply, the Recsea did its job very well, and I can't complain.

This last weekend, I only did 4 dives and spent 75% of the time shooting video. The few stills I did take had sub-par settings (ISO too high, too slow shutter speeds, too large aperture...etc) Didn't try out macro shots or fully test telephoto either. I should be planning another trip sometime soon, with the intent on focusing more on stills, and especially macro.

This weekend, I'll put up some samples and video Over and out for now...

OS74 wrote:
I'm curious, how did it work in RL?

I'm actually keen to know how it works in low light/high iso conditions, but i guess that's not a problem for you (anyhow it should be considerably better than my old Richo GX100 on both shadow noise and autofocus speed

Cheers
OS

neonexxer wrote:

Come Saturday, I'll be diving real dives for the first time with this housing and update this thread

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow