Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro for Pentax.

Started Mar 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Harold Olivier
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Re: E A R T H T O P E N T A X: Call to New *200/2.8 Macro
In reply to solarider, Aug 27, 2012

solarider wrote:

Now that Sigma, Tamron and Tokina aren't making new lenses to much of a degree for Pentax mount, it's pretty clear that Pentax needs to cater to it's own shooters.

Time for Pentax to smell the macro strength green tea and pony up with a DFA* 200mm f2.8 DC motor 2.8 Macro dragon slayer.

Why they haven't dusted off this diamond waiting in their own arsenal is beyond me - now with the new owner of Pentax, lets hope this is in the cards soon

Start a petition to Pentax ?

The FA*200mm macro's widest aperture is f4, not f2.8. It is quite heavy already (1080 grams, or 2 lbs 6 ounces is my arithmetic is correct). To produce it at f2.8 would undoubtedly make it much heavier still.

As to "Why they haven't dusted off this diamond waiting in their own arsenal" the answer is probably money. They would have to create an assembly line specifically for this item, which costs a lot, and hope that their eventual profits (if any) would make doing so worthwhile. It may also be that there are problems with supplies of the components of the lens, including glass.

Personally, I think Pentax's money would be better spent on improving QC to the point that their all-too-common decentered lenses and frequently problematic cameras would be a historical note only.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow