Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Photographing Welding - Sensor Damage?
Aug 27, 2012

I was thinking about doing a welding shoot, but I wasn't sure how safe it was for my camera.

My idea was to light the room with 1000-2000w of shop lights, and expose for my subject (the welder). I would like to do some high shutter speed shots to freeze the action, as well as some longer exposure (1/15th or 1/30th) with some ND filters to capture some trailing sparks. I'll be on a tripod with my 55-250mm, far from the action to protect my lens and myself.

My only other concern is the cameras sensor itself, I wasn't sure how it would cope with the severe over exposure from the brightness of the welding, since that will be far brighter than the part of the scene I have the exposure set for.

I tried doing a bit of research and I got mixed results, some people say you need to use a welding lens, some people say you don't need any filters at all, and some people were saying ND filter for longer exposures. Anyone have any experience doing this, or at least know how a camera sensor handles severe over exposure?
--
-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow