D3S vrs D5100

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
rbmphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258
Like?
D5100...
In reply to David Gore, Aug 27, 2012

I always prefer the feel of my D3 and D700 over the 5100 (kind of like prefering the feel of a BMW over a Chevy) - yet the D5100 is often the one I grab. It's small and light, so easy to carry (conceal), and and with the low cost, I'm not overly concerned about it being damaged or stolen - so I'm more likely to have it with me.

But the main reason is with the increased pixel density over D3/700 sensor, I get significantly more detail resolution compared to the D3/700 sensor. The D3/700 sensor is clearly better at low light, but not as much as I would have initially thought. If you're typically shooting low light, the answer is more clear, if you're shooting high volume, same thing - but if the light it pretty good most of the time and you're not shooting hundreds of shots at a time, the D5100 seems to be a pretty nice alternative.

At least in my opinion, you've made the right decision to focus on glass, which is where I thing the biggest gains are to be had. Ironic though, DX cameras can often do better with poor glass than FF cameras as they only use the sweet center of a lens, typically the best part of even lesser lens, which often fall apart around the edges/corners. You've got some good glass, which the DX can take advantage of.

There is a magic to bigger sensors though, and I'm guessing the answer in 35mm'ish is the newer D800/e which gives you roughly the same pixel density as the D5100 and the benefits of a larger sensor as well, so if you were starting from scratch, I'd get that one - but if I were you now, I'd stay with the D5100, sell the D3s to someone who needs its particular strengths (superb low light, built like a tank, runs forever, silky operation) use your D5100 with your good glass and take wonderful photos until you decide to take your camera and glass to the next level.

Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow