70-200 2.8 II vs Primes (50L or 85L)

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
expro
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200 2.8 II vs Primes (50L or 85L)
In reply to PhotoGuy123, Aug 27, 2012

that's not quite it.... I have had all these lenses at same time and ...

I was a L prime guy because I had to have the very best sharpness, contrast, bokeh and weather sealing helps.... so no zooms for me... just keep changing lenses over and over... missed more and more shots because wrong lens at wrong time so bought extra body (5d/5d2/now 5d3 and 7D) and bit of dust in camera but just clean it off... technique was a non issue

then along comes 72isii and wonder what the flexibility will be like and how much compromise is there (I have 300f2.8is so weight is in context..)...

what i found out: when in real use the extra sharpness and bokeh of 85L, 135L and 200L was not enough to keep them...so sold them and haven't missed them once.

But my expectations have changed now... I particularly like the sharpness, flexibility, IS and general usability of the 72isii over any of the primes supposed advantages - maybe I should mention that my 72isii is actually sharper than my 135L and 200L and I thought those were sharp - but it's not as special as my 300...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow