Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paul johe
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
7D 17-55 Drop Performance
Aug 27, 2012

Finally it happened to me. A major drop to concrete bottom. To be short, my 7D+17-55 was in a Lowepro Fastpack 350 on a bench in a camping ground. It was family camping with other several friends family in a group camp site. So, I was a bit distracted with family and friends. I thought the camera bag was zipped but the side opening fooled me and it wasn't. I didn't like the design any way from the day one any way. When I grabbed the backpack to lift from the bench table top, 7D+17-55 not just dropped but flew out of the backpack then dropped to concrete. I even felt its impact. It was the worst fall. The front lens part landed first then bounced. Here's the damage.

17-55: Amazingly all function worked including IS, except couldn't put the zoom back. Only one way out worked (17 to 55). Front filter totaled.

Body: Again, amazingly all function worked. Just got corner scratches.

Here's the front filter.

It seemed to me the only problem was the zoom ring so I thought I could fix by myself. Here's lens inside.

Broken parts and one crazy glued part:

Body:

17-55 is not a L lens but important parts inside are made with metal. So it could stand the heavy impact. So as the body. I ordered the zoom ring (about $48) and was able to fix. The filter was stocked and was really hard to remove. Eventually I had to deform the filter housing to take it out. However, filter threads on lens were not impacted. I asked Canon the price of front lens of 17-55 for just reference. It is $140. I must say Canon lens is made of plastics but can be easily replaced and like its lighter weight. But they do use metals for sensitive parts. I was surprised by the fact that the zoom ring rotates the inside zoom gear by the only one plastic knob that broken. It was a real harsh fall and I am glad that the metal body took the impact with no issue. After its fix, it is perfectly working.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow