CF and SD cards for D800/E

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,323Gear list
Like?
Re: CF and SD cards for D800/E
In reply to Terence SY Wong, Aug 27, 2012

I just use one big CF card (64GB Lexar 1000x, and a SanDisk Extreme Pro in the SD slot for overflow). A lexar 1000x is 4-5 times faster than the fastest SD card.

The D800 works very well with fast CF cards. It seems to do some 'housekeeping' where it accesses the card for no apparent reason. Some operations are also delayed while the shutter is half pressed - if you take a shot and you keep the shutter half pressed, the camera remains in a ready state.

Many people buy too many cards - you should only buy what you need as cards get faster and cheaper (Lexar 1000x are 30% cheaper now than 6 months ago). After 3 years your cards are essentially worthless - whatever is available then will be bigger and faster. Better to have less cards, transfer to computer when you get a chance, and upgrade your cards more often to faster ones.

The way backup is handled on the D800 (the writes are sequential not concurrent) also means that unless you really need it, better to not use it and use SD as overflow.

TIFF files from camera should be avoided - they are 8 bit TIFF files (not 16 bit TIFF's) and end up as 100MB files containing a fraction of the information of raw files.

Terence SY Wong wrote:

How many cards you have for your memory eating monster - D800? what kind of setup yoy shot with it? fine with raw? tiff?

i have two SD cards - 64GB - Extreme from SanDisk 45mb/S, and shooting setup: fine with raw.

I found that Extreme is fast enough and there is no need for Extreme Pro if you don't shoot a lot 4fps with raw.

I don't use CF cards, too big and expensive than SD.

What about yours? pls share.... thanks

For my post process, if a particular shot is worth to print out, I will save it as tiff, Wow! it's about 200mb big. 4TB hard disk is on the way to my PC......

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow