Lots of Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX G Lens selling second hand. Why?

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cobber55
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
Lots of Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX G Lens selling second hand. Why?
Aug 27, 2012

This is not yet another "should I get the 35mm or 50mm lens" type thread, I hope. However I am still deciding on which to get and have been leaning towards the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX G Lens. I have been looking on eBay and other places for a good second hand one and am seeing quite a lot of them for sale, some only recently purchased. There are virtually no Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G for sale second hand, that I can see.

As the 35mm f/1.8 DX Gs are selling second hand for almost what I can buy a new one for, I think I will buy new. However before I do I am wondering why are there so many 35mm lens selling second hand and virtually no 50mm lens selling second hand?

Is the 50mm so good that people are hanging on to them, whereas the 35mm disappoints for some reason? Given it is such a relatively inexpensive lens why sell it when many online reviews suggest it is a keeper? Is it just that the 35mm sells in much higher quantity compared to the 50mm?

I am just after thoughts if any one wishes to respond and am certainly not attempting to troll or cause offense to anyone who has the 35mm. Far from it as I am likely to be joining them as a fellow 35mm lens user soon.

My disclosures: I am an amateur SLR photographer since the 1980s and current Nikon user since the D60, then D5000 and now D5100. I have really liked all these cameras. I use a Nikkor 18-200mm VR and a Sigma 10-20mm. I also have a kit 18-55mm lens and have tested this lens as a fixed 35mm and 50mm. Based on that testing I am leaning towards the 35mm as being a more useful lens for me.

Cobber55's gear list:Cobber55's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon D5300 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR
Nikon D5000 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow