exposing for soccer

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tuckerpup
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: We don't know
In reply to ok55, Aug 26, 2012

ok55 wrote:

You might want to try wider f-stops to reduce the depth of field (say f4-5.6 or faster) and keep your shutter speed at 1/1250 or ideally faster. AF point expansion, AI servo tracking sensitivity at 0, AI servo 1st/2nd image priority at AF/tracking & AI servo tracking method at continuous track priority. Manual + auto ISO can produce good results but you could also try Av with manual ISO selection.

Best regards

"AF point expansion, Ai servo tracking sensitivity at 0, AI servo 1st/2nd image priority at AF/tracking & AI servo tracking method at continuous tracking priority..." Frankly I can't decipher that. Is this by chance a 7D feature? certainly I can (and did) set the camera to AI Servo - but the if you've described something I can do with my 60D I haven't read that part of the manual (and yes I've read it several times). Can you elaborate?

As for opening up the f-stops, I kept it at f8-11 for two reasons, my 70-300 really is a LOT sharper at those fstops, and I wanted to have enough depth of field to make the focus more forgiving - they move enough that I've found it easy to have the ball in focus and the player not.

Anyways, if you could elaborate on your items above I'd appreciate it.

Tuckerpup's gear list:Tuckerpup's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow