Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tandaina
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Lens upgrade question...
Aug 26, 2012

I'm mostly a prime shooter but I believe in having a good solid zoom in your bag, I've had one that I've loved, but it is in need of an upgrade.

Way back in the mists of time, for my Minolta 7D, I bought a Tamron 24-135. It was a good solid lens on the 7D, but the a900 pushes it beyond its (admittedly pretty dang good for the price, it was under $400 used) limits. At the wide end it vignettes pretty significantly on the full frame body, and at the long end you can see that it isn't terribly sharp. Also, auto focus? REALLY lacking.

I'm interested in upgrading it for something better. Finding a frustrating lack of full frame options. LOTS of highly rated lenses specifically for crop bodies.

Sony seems to have a low priced 18-135 zoom, which doesn't say it is DT... But all reviews I've found are for an 18-135 DT lens that does me no good. (And haven't seen anything that indicates it would be better than the Tamron anyway.)

The only other real player looks like the Sony 24-70 CZ lens. Which loses the long end of the Tamron zoom and the thing that really makes it useful. 24-70 isn't really enough latitude to go from shooting a landscape to zooming in a rather distant object. I think I would REALLY miss the 70-135 range.

Anyone know of another alternative? I don't mind non Sony lenses at ALL, I'm just having a heck of a time finding anything that isn't for a crop sensor. (I love Tamron but they are really letting me down on their offerings! Both they and Sigma seem to just have the 24-70 for full frame.)

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow