Photography: The big lie

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
karlreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
The Pro's ane their gear.. a true story..Photography: The bigger truths
In reply to karlreed, Aug 26, 2012

Some years ago, my daughter relented and asked would I help over her wedding. She had hired a pro outfit, and, suddenly decided she wanted Dad's help. He intended had worked for a while as a pro photographer, and was happy to have me on bard.

so, I turn up with my Contax G1 and 28mmf2.8 Zeiss lens, and, my Nikon F90X and 80-200mmf2.8 zoom, with my SB26 flash. The pros, two young women, turned up with their Ricohs and I think, one wide fixed prime, and what looked like a 50mm Ricoh prime. Yuk! Compared to my gear, they weren't in the hunt!

But, they didn't care.

I know that a lot of my shots ended up a long side theirs in the wedding album, however, there were two or three the pros took that were absolutely stunning! I would never have even thought of trying to get them!

The made the usual group shots into masterpieces, and had the group stage for some back-lit shots that were also stunning. Plus there stuff was better than mine.

The debate about gear versus artistry will of course go on, but, on that occasion, the artists one.

Karl

-- hide signature --

karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
zzzzNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow