Olympus clarifies: it is about 4/3 lenses, not a new 4/3 body

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
JLTaylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850
Like?
E-5 vs EM-5
In reply to BJL, Aug 26, 2012

For me there is more to making the SHG lenses usable then just the AF speed.

I like to shoot nature, both landscapes and wildife - and am using both the E5 and EM-5,

Love the portability of the mFT system for hiking, and the ability to get reasonable reach

with a small lens. Hate the AF system for wildlife. It is more the the focus speed.

Two differences: the spot size and the ergonomics. The AF system of the E-5 can select

the eyeball of an animal hidden in brush or behind branches that the mFT can not.

The E-5 has a much better user interface for wildlife. The lack of a mode dial (much criticized when the E-3 was introduced) allows easy access to my modes. It is easy to switch from a mode for a nesting bird to one in flight. It is also easy to select a different focus point - while using the eyepiece.

With lenses like the 300, 150, 90-250, 50-200 +TC's four thirds is very close to being an excellent wildlife and sports setup. Fix the AF system and use the improved sensor and it is a competitive system.

But I expect them to just add the ability to just add PDAF to a mFT body. It would be

a welcome improvement, but I would continue to use the E-5 with the big lenses.

So close.
--
Jeff Taylor
http://www.pbase.com/jltaylor

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow